11:01 PM

Tapas Tango

Our hostel, thankfully, was full of English-speakers, although we definitely had our fair share of Europeans in the mix. We ended up mostly hanging out with a badass chick from Canada most of the trip (whom I still owe a cd!! hmm...). Funnily enough, she was staying in a room with a guy from California... who used to live in Fremont (a few towns over from my home town).... who goes to SDSU..... I swear, the world is like this big |                  |.

Mmm tapas!
That night we figured it out we all decided to go grab tapas at a place near our hostel. This was Berry and my's second experience with tapas, as we had gone out the previous night with her friend's friend who had been living there for the past semester. It was still really, really good though. We didn't do it in true Spanish-fashion, though, as we were seated (somewhat regrettable, but after walking all day we really had no choice).

Our new friend from Fremont just happened to speak Spanish, which was SUPER helpful, because the majority of Spaniards do not speak any English (or at least those we encountered). This was a little unexpected, as nearly everyone in Greece spoke English very well. As a Californian, I know a little bit of Spanish, but generally only the question part of a conversation, not necessarily the answer (not so helpful).



Prepping for the night out at our hostel's bar
Later on that night... well, really you could call it the next day (as we didn't leave until 1am) we went out with our hostel on a pub crawl. Our pub crawl consisted of two bars (each with a free drink) and entrance to the mega-club, Kapital. Kaptital is a 7-story night club, each floor with its own theme, and is absolutely INSANE.

The bars were quite entertaining, as I was accosted at each of them. Apparently, in Madrid it is perfectly acceptable to walk up to a girl and kiss her without so much as a hello beforehand. I found that, in such instances, there isn't really anything you can do but laugh and walk away.

This was decidedly my most successful night out, although it was the night that I lost my ring. Night life in Europe is so much different than in the States! Like I said, we didn't even leave for the first bar until 1am, and I didn't make it back to the hostel until the sun was coming up at 7am. Yes, the night was definitely a success.

0 comments:

Post a Comment